Friday, December 08, 2006

"It's Not Pop. It's History"



I was walking somewhere this morning and I started thinking about The Beatles and how it had been ages since I'd listened to them. Then I bought a banana, some tobacco and a newspaper.

I ate the banana, smoked some of the tobacco and am yet to read the newspaper. I also listened to loads of Beatles tunes in my head and I realised that I don't listen to The Beatles very often beacause I don't have to. These tunes are hard-wired in, by and large.

Several hours passed and I didn't think about The Beatles again at all. This is what happens most of the time.

*****

Later on today I went to a friends house for dinner with his family. He asked if I'd heard Love by The Beatles. Considering my earlier thoughts about the band, I nodded politely and said, "No"...which was the truth.

(Secretly, Readers, I thought: "Fuck me. Why so many Beatles things? IN ONE DAY!!!!????")

Anyway.





That thing up there...

...is beautiful.

Their songs are part of the vernacular....there are certain melodies (of thought, harmony etc..) which are human.

I hadn't listened to it...and here's why..

Ok, so a record that's been out a for few weeks already to the naked eye looks like another Beatles cash-in. A Beatles cash-in that started life as an idea dreamt up in a circus, no less. Moreover when it did come out it was beaten to Number 1 in the UK album charts by the evil men behind Westoife, with every little help from the people at Tescos. Frankly, it seems like a fish out of water and deserves to be awful at the same time.

If my punctuation was better I could write that stuff. It's Gobshite Rhetoric, and that's easier than you'd think.

....but.


The thing is.......


It's ace.

I mean The Beatles thing, this "LOVE" rekkid. It's fucking ace.

You get to hear them with BASS

....

In fact, I give it 9.5 'We took a left at Greenland' s out of a possible 10 'We took a left at Greenland' s

They popped into my head and blew my mind

xxxxxxxxxxx

..........


By the way. My friends have a 14-year-old son who reckons that The Beatles aren't ROCK.

He's probably right.

I asked him if they were 'POP, then'?

'No', he said.

"Why aren't they POP?"

...

..


He chewed his food and considered. Then he said,


"It's not POP. It's History".




BINGO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home