Sunday, September 24, 2006

Look at all the Chefs and the Gardeners...

So anyway, there was this article in the newspaper the other day about how white people 'blacking up' is on the rise in contempary British culture. Since the article appeared in The Guardian I won't bother you with a precis as you can probably guess the tone of the piece and fill in the blanks all by yourself.

For what it's worth, and as often with opinons in The Guardian, I find myself simultaneously agreeing with the arguement in principle and yet being resolute in my belief that were the writer to personally appear at my front door in the guise of an acquiantance, I would hide behind the sofa and pretend not to be home.

BUT.... it got me thinking about Pitman, which is something I haven't done for a year or so.

Pitman is a miner and a rapper from the East Midlands town of Coleville. He enjoys digging, rapping and cups of tea. He doesn't suffer fools gladly and would probably think that you, yes, you! (and me, for that matter) are 'tossers'.

A couple of years back he released 3 singles on 7" inch vinyl that captured the imagination of Friends of the Stars and our mates. Dorian from Teatowel even ventured to That London in order to see him play live, and I once emailed him asking if he was planning to play in Birmingham. The reply I received said:

"I'm not doing no gigs in Birmingham. I've got coal to dig, mate"

Nuff said.

Pitman is white but Pitman's face is black. Pitman has black stuff on his face because he's been down the mines all day, digging coal. Make of that what you will.

Here's a Pitman video

Enjoy

1 Comments:

At 9/26/2006 07:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craig, it's Coalville, not Coleville! 'Bout time someone gave the E Mids a voice, mind.

As for the Blacking up thing, my friend Vazza's website has more on this one - check out www.whatmakesalexangry.co.uk

X

 

Post a Comment

<< Home